Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Creative Way to Discipline....

Carter has always been my child to verbalize what's going on in his little head. He's been very articulate and conversational since he was little....which is usually a good thing. About 2 months ago Scott and I began to notice that Carter wouldn't pay attention to things as long as before, he wouldn't be able to get the words out to explain to us what was going on, he just had some issues....well we all know that ADD is rampant in America. Carter hasn't been diagnosed or anything, but I think everyone has a little ADD, it's just to what extent.
So, because I can't just sit and hope for the best...I did some research about vitamins and minerals that will help with focusing, attention and controlling behavior. Here's what I found: you have to have the right balance between the Omega 3 and 6...so here is what our little guy is on every day,
I will say, it's been 2 months and I can tell a big difference. Carter takes 2 of each and we also cut out the majority of sugar that the little guy was getting. (It amazing how much they really get once you start noticing) But overall he is just happier because he can communicate with us, he can focus on what he's doing and our days are much more fun because I can "reason" with him usually.
Another thing that I've implemented at our home is Carter's Good Deeds Rewards Chart.
He loves this. Every time I catch him playing nicely with Brax or cleaning up something I let him put a sticker on his chart for the day. It's even worked for me to "bribe" him with lately too! So for a few dollars and time I was able to make this cute chart that he loves! The stickers are way cute...and I found them at the dollar store!
They're foam and bright colors so Carter gets a kick out of picking which one to put on each time. It's a really easy thing to make and you can customize it for each kid...it's made a world of difference at our house.

1 comment:

Amy Montgomery said...

Hey Christie!! I'm no blogger, so hopefully its ok that I just comment where ever. :)

Yeah, you probably saw me at Maverik. My dad's lab is just across the street and I worked on Sunday.. so I was probably stopping to get a sprite and some candy. Who wants to work on a Sunday with out their sugar fix?? Haha.

How've you been? Your blog is so cute! You look like such a good mommy! I'm gonna have to keep up on reading it to get some tips :) I love, love, love being a mommy and Lyla is such a good baby. I'm really lucky! We should totally get together with the kids! I could really use some mommy friends. You should give me a call or shoot me a text or something... 801 390 2818. Its good to hear from you!

Amy