Sunday, February 22, 2009

Pinewood Derby, Family Time and Goals!

Scott and I have started going to church as of the beginning of this month. One day he just decided that he wanted to start going again, introduce me to the world of "three-hour church" and have Carter experience everything he did as a young boy. We have such a great Ward here, everyone is really nice, down-to-earth, and has little ones like Carter (so I'm NEVER the only mom trying to make my kid be quiet!). It's been nice meeting our neighbors, making new friends and having events to go to (especially in the winter time.)

This weekend was the traditional Pinewood Derby, but with a "Washington Terrace 4th Ward twist" everyone got to participate. Adults, young girls, moms, little kids, everyone! Scott and I had so much fun creating our cars and getting them to weigh the right amount. We started out with plain blocks of wood, and had to call in for some help. The three of us made a day out of it and went over to Scott's Grandparent's house to utilize his Grandpa's wood-working skills. I have to admit I'm afraid to see how they would have turned out if we didn't get his help! This is the before.....

I meant to get some shots of the acutal derby, but I was so busy running after Carter, getting the cars when they finished and meeting new people, my camera never left my purse! Here are the cars after the race though....

Yesterday was such a gorgeous day, we took advantage of it and went walking around exploring. The sun was out, it wasn't windy and it made everything with the snow on it beautiful!

To end the night last night we had ice cream cones and watched Uncle Buck, one of our family's favorites! My mom found this car at the DI and Carter wouldn't get out of it....so for $10 and some TLC this is his newest favorite thing!

What's really funny is now he gets in, puts on the seat belt and says:

"I goin' down a yoad in Busy Town mom. I go to work at gas station to sell Bug Juice."

It's so funny because he totally came up with this on his own! Silly little guy.

This week Carter and I are all about POTTY TRAINING! He is going to start preschool in April and has to be trained by then...so I'm sure by then he'll be ready. But as of tomorrow morning I'm going to stay in the house, keep him naked, and just focus on getting him potty trained!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

YAY!! I have been greatly looking forward to your Pine Wood Derby pics. I am glad you were having too much fun to worry about pics. The car turned out great!!

Uncle Buck is a classic. I bet you can just hear Steve and Scott quoting the line "Here's a quarter, why don't you go downtown and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face" DORKS!!!

Jackie said...

Good luck with the potty training!!! So you finally gave in and have become a 3-hour church goer! Good for you guys!!

Cute Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cute Family said...

Sorry, I posted a comment, screwed up, and deleted it. Anyway, you've gotta love potty training. Good Luck! That is good you have a nice ward. Your pinewood derby looked fun, I am den leader for the eight year olds in our ward, and don't look forward to that.