Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Grandma Margaret...

Like I said in my earlier post, Easter weekend was packed for the Morris Family. My mother-in-law's birthday party was the Saturday before Easter so we had even MORE events! I promised in my earlier post that Grandma Margaret's Birthday deserved its own post....so here it is!
I planned my first-ever surprise birthday party for my mother-in-law this year. I had a ton of help from my sister and brother-in-law as well (I couldn't have done it without them!)
For those that don't know, Margaret was truly meant to have girls...and after three sons and 4 grandsons, I thought it was time to give her a "girl" party....
I baked this Barbie cake and my mom came over that morning to help finish the icing. (I'm not so talented in that area) and it turned out so cute! I can't believe in all of her years my cute mother-in-law has never had a Barbie cake.
Unfortunately, getting the cousins together for the last Easter for awhile, having Carter's Great Gandma there, and hanging out with everyone was just too much fun... and I just didn't think take any pictures during the fun things I had planned. We gave the cousins their custom baskets, had an Easter egg hunt (with over 200 eggs I might add) and had a great dinner.
Scott and I have wanted to refinish a kid's picnic table that his mom made years ago and have her be able to use it in the backyard for the grandkids...so this year we "stole" it from their house! We sanded it (keeping some of the blemishes from her boys) and painted it. The best part is I got all the grandkids' handprints on it with their names so that she can always have a memory of when they were little. It turned out adorable!
It was a great day! I wish I thought more about taking pictures though...

3 comments:

Rachael said...

You have to be an awesome daughter-in-law. You're going to put all the rest of us to shame.

Ashley and Devan said...

Oh Rach, she puts us all to shame in everything she does. You are awesome at pretty much everything Christie!
I am lovin the Barbie cake.. I've never had one either.. hint hint : ) Just kidding. But lets totally make one for Brinley sometime!
Ohhh.. and I totally saw that picture of the boys and the table on Steve and Annies blog. Love the table! How cute it that!

Jackie said...

That cake is so cute!! I think that's so fun that you gave Scott's mom a much needed "girl" party!! And I also think that picnic table was a cute idea, you're so creative!